Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Duct Tape iPad Sleeve

Happy Wednesday! My sister just bought an iPad and wanted to buy a sleeve for it. I decided to make her one for about $3! This was super practical and easy to do. I learned a few tricks along the way and I wanted to share them with you. Hope you like it!


Materials:
- Duct Tape 
- Padded brown envelope 
- Scissors 


You can get different colored/patterned duct tape to really jazz up your iPad sleeve!




Steps:

1. First trim the opening flap to your iPad sleeve. You're going to tuck that part in to close the sleeve and it won't work as well without this small change.




2. Now you can cover the envelope in duct tape! Use long strips to avoid wrinkles and bumps. If you have too many layers of tape it will start to look lumpy. I stuck with the classic grey/silver duct tape but you can always add your own design! Also when you're going around the top flap, try your best to fold the duct tape over the corners. Then you can cover all the messy, little pieces with one larger piece of duct tape. This part's tricky but hey, if I can do it, you can too! :)




Here's how mine turned out! My sister Lucy had some Apple stickers (they come in the iPad box) so I just stuck that onto the front of my sleeve! How does it look?




What I've learned:

- Long, straight strips give your sleeve a sleek look overall (as sleek as duct tape can be, anyway).
- Trimming the top flap so that it fits tucked into the sleeve is really important since I didn't make a fastener for it. 




I am so glad I tried this since I saved my sister from buying a $40 iPad sleeve with a cooler-looking $3 sleeve. She even got some stickers to personalize it, which you can do too! With the padded envelope, I feel better about her carrying it around in her bag. These envelopes are meant to go through the mailing system, so they should be able to survive being carried around to class etc.

If you have an iPad I hope you try this out!

Leave a comment and let me know what you think!


Alison :)

No comments:

Post a Comment