In my attempt at wearing more makeup, I bought some makeup brushes and a new palette! I bought my brushes from Forever 21, the four brushes were only $5! I assumed they wouldn't be really great but as it turns out they worked surprisingly well! I saw this Urban Decay palette at Marshall's for $12, and I am in love! This palette also came with an Eye Shadow Primer Potion, which I highly recommend using if you want your makeup to stay on all day.
I've found that inexpensive products don't always mean that they won't work well. If you don't use makeup often like me, it might not be worth it to buy the most expensive products. Try some out in the store and see what you like before purchasing!
- Powder Concealer (L'Oreal Paris True Match: Neutral)
- Urban Decay Primer Potion
- Maybelline Eyeliner in Espresso
- Cover Girl Liquid Liner in Black
- Urban Decay Eye Shadow in Minx (from the palette)
I used these products but you can try this look with similar products you have already!
1. I started off by applying powder concealer over my face, highlighting straight down my nose and the tops of my cheeks (wherever the sun would hit your face naturally). Then, I applied the Primer Potion to my eye lids by simply rubbing it in with my finger tips.
2. After that dries, start by adding an eye shadow color of you're choice! I used Minx from my Urban Decay palette, it's a blue-green color with gold flakes. Pat gently over your entire lid with your eye shadow brush. You can also use a blending brush to soften the edges!
3. Take your Brown/Espresso eye liner and draw a wing-tipped shape by pulling up from your eye, and then down and across the rest of your lid. Fill in the triangular area after! The brown is great for a more subtle look. I chose to go back and draw a darker, thinner line over the brown with liquid liner. It's a little more dramatic, and the liquid liner will stay on longer.
4. After finishing your top lid, use that same brown eye liner along your bottom lid, close to the water line. I only drew mine about halfway, it's supposed to make your eyes seem larger.
You could use an eyelash curler and some mascara when you're done too (waterproof stays on longer)!
What I've learned:
- Wearing makeup is about feeling good about yourself! Don't be afraid to try something if you don't wear makeup usually.
- For my monolid ladies, I've struggled with how to do my makeup too! I think a subtle look with a surprise color makes it fun. At first it seemed like I was putting on a lot of eye shadow but as you can see, when my eyes are open it doesn't look overwhelming.
- Using the proper tools (makeup brushes), actually helps a lot! I used to use the spongy applicators that came with the eye shadow and there's a big difference!
This is a great summery look. I love that the color really makes your eyes pop!
Even though I like this subtle look, next time I think I'll try something more dramatic for a going out/night time look. Would you like to see a monolid night time look?
Let me know what you think, and I hope you try this out!